Improves your ability to control your thinking
Meditation is a practice involving clearing your mind and focusing on a specific thing or thought.
Why meditate? To increase your ability to relax, be mindful (and thus make better choices) and concentrate (and thus become more effective). To reduce stress, clear the mind, increase awareness of the present moment, and to enhance personal and spiritual growth.
Here are some internal links we have written on meditation:
- Why Meditate – Practical Benefits
- Mental Skills Which Meditation Helps Improve
- Spiritually Oriented Meditation
- The Dhamma Brothers Film
- Welcoming Prayer
- Open Mind, Open Heart Book Review
- More Links
Here are some external links related to this subject:
Related Links top
- There are many different variations including Mindfulness meditation, Centering Prayer meditation, Vipassana meditation, Zazen meditation, Transcendental meditation, and Yoga relaxation. The techniques as well as the target of focus are usually slightly different but the general idea is similar. Different variations emphasize focusing on a different “something.” For example: your breathing, a sound, mantra, candle flame, blank wall, parts of the body, the “here and now,” or God’s presence within.
- An advanced chapter on balancing mindfulness with concentration from Mindfulness in Plain English by Henepola Gunaratana.
- Top of Page, Categories, Index and Home Page